At the Shrine in Capernaum, three annual memorials celebrated:
- The Feast of the Promise of the Eucharist, the 3rd Friday of Easter;
- The Solemnity of St. Peter the Apostle, June 29th;
- The Solemnity of Capernaum, the City of Jesus, the 2nd Saturday in October.
The annual pilgrimage to Capernaum, “The City of Jesus” will commemorate three different salvific events: after his Baptism; after the arrest of John the Baptist; and before his departure for Jerusalem.
Essentially, the Gospel passages regarding the activities of Jesus in Capernaum, can be summarized into three stages: Jesus who preaches the Gospel of the Kingdom of God; Jesus who calls the first Apostles; Jesus who heals disease and forgives sins.
The Gospel passages of Capernaum are particularly linked to the Synagogue, the House of the Apostle Peter and to the lakeshore.
Through our celebrations, we intend to memorialize precisely this: faith in the Gospel, the call to follow Christ, the Sacramental life of the Church.
PILGRIMAGE TO THE CITY OF JESUS
Commemoration of Jesus in Capernaum: Presence, Preaching and Signs
Saturday, OCTOBER 13, 2012
• To commemorate the life and work of Jesus in Capernaum: lakeside, Synagogue, House of Peter, other places;
• To celebrate the Sacraments announced by Jesus during his time in Capernaum: the Eucharist, Reconciliation, Anointing of the Sick;
• To pray for vocations in the Church;
• To promote fraternal charity. The collection will be designated for the Christians in Syria.
Celebration of the Sacrament of Reconciliation
15.00 -16.30 At the Memorial of St. Peter, priests will be available to hear confessions in various languages.
Celebration of the Eucharist, presided by the Custos of the Holy Land
16.20 Priests will vest in the sacristy of the Memorial of St. Peter.
16.45 Lakeside: Memorial entrance of Jesus in Capernaum and the call of the first Disciples.
17.00 Procession through the ruins of the city.
17.15 Square in fron of the Synagogue: Celebration of the Eucharist. After the Communion Rite, the Custos will bless and distribute the fruits of the harvest.
18.30 At the end of the celebration, all those present are invited to a fraternal gathering in the courtyard of the Convent.
It is recommended that each Parish bring something to share at the fraternal gathering.
Notes for the Liturgy
Music will be provided by the Choirs of the Custody from Jerusalem and Nazareth.
Servers for the Liturgy will be friars of the Seminary of the Custody of the Holy Land.